Monday, May 9, 2011

Elevator Chat

Wow...has it really been since August? Sorry about that one.

Today I was in the car with some friends, and somehow we were discussing the awkwardness between people who don't know each other in elevators. I really hate awkwardness, especially when I am involved in it. I like to take those little moments head on which, in some cases, makes it worse. I am what some would call, "a chatty little thing". I love to talk, I love to smile at people, and I love to make strangers feel welcome. My friends and I were laughing at how silly this is, and decided I should just be quiet and let people enjoy their elevator ride in peace, without some girl barging in on their moment of hoping no one else in the building pushes the button and tries to fit in the already too small space. Our conversation ended on that subject, and we all went about the rest of our days.

Later this evening I started thinking about why it is that I talk to strangers so much. Why do I feel the need to get to know everyone around me, even if we will only know each other for a 30 second elevator ride. Ya know, I even did it tonight at the gym in my spin class...(ok so I'm only throwing this in there so that I sound cool and buff for going to a spin class). I started talking to the girl in front of me, which was semi distracting, but I felt like I was in it with somebody. It was nice to have a buddy. Someone to push through with. I do it on bike rides, at the mall, and at restaurants. I do it everywhere I go, now that I think of it. Why is that?

I'm starting to think that the blame/thanks goes to my dad. I can picture him at any given high school sporting event that my brother might be involved in, sitting in the bleachers, making friends with any person who is around him. He sits down, settles in, and looks for his target. Who is it going to be? Who is he going to strike up a conversation with, and then by the end of the night walk away as if they were old friends. I have memories of sitting in restaurants with my dad, watching him chat with an elderly couple in the next booth, talking about what kind of dogs they might own, or how they came to live in the town they are in now.  Even as I type this I am coming up with more and more reasons for why I think this is. Dad is a self employed contractor, finding work solely by word of mouth. Maybe this is how he creates business, or why he always finds such great clients. Maybe he is just a friendly guy who wants to enjoy the moment with someone. Maybe he is self-conscience and wants everyone around him to like him.  Or maybe it's his way of shining the light of Jesus Christ.

Why shouldn't we go around making people feel welcome, talking to strangers and getting to know them? Our culture definitely has something lacking in the welcoming department. Have you ever walked in to a room, not really knowing anyone, feeling like you just want to go home and curl up in your bed. Or like you want to join in on a group conversation, but don't want to intrude, so instead you just pretend to be really thirsty and drink 50 cups of water just to make it seem like you are busy? No? Just me? Ok, well I hate that feeling. I never want to feel like that, and I NEVER EVER want anyone who is in my presence to feel that way because of me. I want people to be comfortable, and feel like they are included in what is going on. Most importantly, I want that person to be intrigued by the kindness being shown to them. Hopefully the conversation of who Christ is will come up, and we will have an opportunity to glorify Him. Jesus welcomed everyone with open arms, no matter their social or financial status, their place in life, or their age. I hope and pray that I can reflect this model in some way, all to His glory. Let's continue to plant seeds, or water them as we go. Let's continue to use every place we are in as our mission field.

Say hello to a stranger this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment